Friday, March 25, 2011

A Taste of Home: Stromboli Sandwiches


When I was growing up, we had two great local pizzerias. One of these, Jerry’s, was known for great Stromboli sandwiches. Jerry’s was my first (and practically only) encounter with Stromboli, and his have always remained my definitive example of what a Stromboli should be, though they were perhaps atypical of that food category. I found this particular recipe in a church cookbook I was given as a bridal gift. It struck a familiar chord when I read it, and I knew these were something both the hubby and I would enjoy. This recipe makes more than we eat in one meal, but they reheat well in the oven. The amounts were adjusted to use up an entire package of mini-subs (these are sometimes by the deli-counter, sometimes in the bread aisle). They are a bit time-consuming to assemble, but they’re worth it!

Stromboli Sandwiches

Source:
The Lucerne Christian Church Cookbook
  • 1 pound ground turkey or pork sausage
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
  • 1-8 ounce can tomato sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/4 pound salami
  • 1/4 pound pepperoni
  • 8 slices thinly sliced ham
  • 1 cup mozzarella cheese
  • 1-8 count package mini-subs
In a large saucepan brown the ground sausage with the onions and green peppers. Drain off any excess grease. Stir in tomato sauce and oregano.

While your sausage is cooking, preheat your oven to 350, and line a large baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper. Open up your sub buns and lay them out on the baking sheet. Layer together pepperoni (I usually use 3 slices per sub), salami (I usually use 2 slices per sub) sausage mixture, mozzarella cheese (again I don't measure here, probably about 2 tablespoons per sub), and ham on bottom half of sub bun. Cover sandwiches with top half of bun.

Wrap each individual sandwich in aluminum foil, and bake at 350 for 25 minutes or until bread is toasty and cheese is melted. Serve immediately and enjoy!