Wednesday, October 27, 2010

It's Pasta Night: Mediterranean Sun-Dried Tomato Chicken


My mom has always had a thing for cookbooks and cooking magazines. Looking back, it almost strikes me as humorous because she very seldom tried a new recipe, and even less frequently do I remember her referencing a cookbook. As an adult she has given me many of the cooking magazines that she no longer wants. I've been going through them, pulling out the recipes that I would like to try and adding them to my recipe file. One of my best finds so far is a Land O'Lakes Recipe Collection: Fresh and Fast Pasta. Tonight I tried my first recipe from the collection, Mediterranean Sun-Dried Tomato Chicken. It was simple, tasty, and on the dinner table quickly. Best of all I had everything in my pantry, and the hubs loved it! Hooray for simple dinners!

Mediterranean Sun-Dried Tomato Chicken

Adapted From:
Land O Lakes Recipe Collections: Fresh and Fast Pasta

  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive-oil
  • 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 2 14.5-ounce cans chicken broth
  • 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes
  • 1 small onion, finely chopped
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 3/4 cups small pasta shells
  • 1 tablespoon dried oregano
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1/2 lemon, juiced
Put 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large dutch oven over medium-high heat. While the olive oil is heating, season chicken with salt and pepper to taste on both sides. Cook the chicken for approximately 4 minutes on each side (the goal here is not to cook chicken through, but just to get a nice sear).

Meanwhile, while your chicken is cooking put the sun-dried tomatoes (discard the oil if they are packed in oil) and small onion into your mini food processor and give them a few pulses until they are well broken down. Put aside.

Remove chicken from heat, and tent with foil. Add chicken broth to the dutch oven and allow to come to a boil. Once the broth has come to a boil add the sun-dried tomatoes, onions, pasta, and return the chicken to the pan. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook stirring occasionally until the pasta is tender and chicken is cooked through (the liquid will be pretty much absorbed).

Remove from heat. Stir in oregano, butter, and lemon juice.

Serve immediately and enjoy!