Thursday, October 21, 2010

My Betty Crocker Cooky Book Challenge: Delta Bars


My parents live about 75 miles north of my husband and me. Consequently, I do not see them as much as I would like. Often we'll meet at a halfway point for lunch on Sunday afternoon. Recently however I have been home quite a bit because my mom fell and broke her wrist and has needed a lot of help with housework. One of my favorite things to do while I am home is to dig through my mom's cook books and recipe clippings. Last time when I was home, I uncovered her copy of the classic Betty Crocker 1963 Cooky Book, which she received as a Christmas present from her aunt and uncle in 1972. My goal is to make at least 20 different cookie recipes from this book and blog about them.
The first recipe I made was for something called Delta Bars. I don't know how these bar cookies got their name, but the description promised a butterscotch bar and the ingredient list was basics that I already had in my pantry. Butterscotch is a flavor I love, so I had to give them a try. They were delightful; next time I make these I will probably increase the amount of nuts, but otherwise they are pretty darn good.

Delta Bars

Source:
Betty Crocker's Cooky Book

  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs, 1 separated
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup brown sugar, packed
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
Preheat oven to 375.

Cream together shortening, sugar, 1 whole egg, 1 egg yolk (reserve the white), and vanilla. Sift dry ingredients together; blend into shortening mixture. Spread in greased 9x13 pan.

Beat reserved egg white until foamy; gradually beat in brown sugar. Continue beating until mixture is stiff and glossy; gently fold in walnuts. Pour over dough in pan.

Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes.

Cut into squares once cooled and enjoy!