Saturday, March 26, 2011

Baby It's Cold Outside... So Let's Grill: Lemon Grilled Chicken and Foil Packet Potatoes


The warm weather we have had here in central Indiana has been just too much of a tease lately. Every year without fail as soon as we have a few spring-like days I am telling the hubby it is time to fire up the grill. So last weekend when I was picking up my groceries and it was 70 outside, I didn't hesitate to throw a bag of lemons in my grocery cart to use in my favorite grill marinade. But now that we are getting around to doing the grilling it's closer to 30 outside; I guess that's life. I don't know the source on the recipe for the chicken. I found the recipe on a blog a few years ago, so if you recognize it please let me know. I grew up eating the Foil Packet Potatoes and there really is not an exact recipe I follow; it's all eyeballing. The Lemon Grilled Chicken always delivers super juicy, tender and flavorful chicken; you have to give this one a try! As for the Foil Packet Potatoes, they're just classic and I cannot think of one person who has tried them and not liked them. Happy grilling!

Lemon Grilled Chicken

  • 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh lemon zest
  • 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
  • 1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
  • ¼ teaspoon white pepper
  • Any cut of chicken, up to 8 pieces

Combine all ingredients except chicken in a blender and blend until emulsified.

To prepare chicken: Put chicken pieces in a large Ziploc bag. Add marinade and turn chicken once or twice to coat. Marinate in the refrigerator overnight, or at least 8 hours. Bring chicken to room temperature 30 minutes before grilling and discard marinade.

Grill and enjoy!

Foil Packet Potatoes

  • potatoes, very thinly sliced
  • onion, sliced thin and divided into rings
  • butter
  • garlic powder
Layer thinly sliced potatoes, onion, and butter in a large sheet of aluminum foil. (For the hubby and I usually do about 4 potatoes, 1 onion, and about 1/2 stick of butter. If ya'll have learned anything from Paula Deen, it's that everything's better with butter!) Season to taste with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Close up foil packet.

Grill for 30-45 minutes or until potatoes are tender.

Serve immediately and enjoy!